Welcome to the PEPR Lab at St. Norbert College
In the Personality, Emotion, & Psychopathology Research Lab, we study the motivational nature of emotions and its connection with personality in the onset and maintenance of psychopathology. One particular emotion – shame – is central in much of our work. Shame is a self-conscious emotion that people experience when unpleasant outcomes are attributed to characterological flaws. In other words, people in the midst of shame perceive of themselves as inadequate, worthless, or in some other way “not good enough.” This self-view can create urges to engage in socially avoidant and/or aggressive behavior, and it is therefore associated with a wide range of psychological, social, and physical health problems. We utilize multiple methods and innovative research designs to consider both how shame-related traits influence maladaptive thinking and behavior and how shame, as a dynamic emotion process, further contributes to distress and impairment. Our work also aims to develop effective shame-focused interventions for individuals with various presenting problems.
For more information about our current research projects, visit the Our Research pages.
Announcements & Recent Events
- April 2018: Congrats to Cate! She was awarded the Margaret Bernauer Psychology Research Award from the Wisconsin Psychological Association for her poster entitled "Shame regulation in self-injurious behavior."
- May 2017: Congrats to Erin, Mackenzie, Kirsten, & Savanna on their graduation from St. Norbert College!
- March 2017: Congratulations to Savanna! Savanna was just accepted to the Clinical Mental Health Counseling graduate program at Marquette University!
- Watch the video here.
- Feb-Mar 2017: Savanna's efforts to gather student views of mental health & wellness on campus got a little on-campus media attention.
- Check out a brief bit about her efforts here.
- September 2016: Shared our Packers Fan research on a local spotlight show!
- September 2016: Just in time for the Packers' season opener -- our OpEd appears in the Green Bay Press-Gazette! Hope the fans enjoy it!
- Check it out online here.
- August 2016: Packers Fan Study was on TV! The 2015 study was recently featured on the local NBC pre-game show!
- Check out the video here.
- August 2016: Read our recent OpEd in the Iron Mountain-Kingsford Daily News -- doing our best to share what we're learning with all the Packers fans out there!
- Download the OpEd here.
- April 2016: Congrats to Amanda & Bel! Their poster on emotion regulation and self-injury among patients at a local DBT clinic was accepted for presentation at this year's meeting of ISSS!
- November 2015: Congrats to Rivka! Rivka presented her study on suicidality and emotional responses to psychiatric hospitalization during the ABCT SIG Poster session -- and she won this year's Suicide & Self-Injury SIG Outstanding Poster Award for her great work!
- October 2015: James presented his study on the effects of interpersonal disclosure on hospitalization-related shame at this year's meeting of the Society for Research in Psychopathology.
If you have questions about the PEPR Lab and its ongoing research, please send us an email at: email@example.com. Dr. Schoenleber can also be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-403-2979.